Clean units will also provide healthier air into your home without fear of tons of unwanted allergens floating about. Taking the proper care of your central A/C unit can ensure the likelihood of efficient airflow within your home. This is how to change your furnace or central air conditioner filter!
This is a Health Task!
A clean A/C unit will ensure that the air quality in your home is healthy and will prevent a lot of allergic reactions.
This is a Preventative Maintenance Task!
Consistent A/C maintenance will prolong the unit’s lifespan. When filters are not cleaned regularly, more stress is put on fans, motors, and pumps, which may cause expensive failures.
Tasks can be done by: Homeowner, Handyman, HVAC professional
How To Change Your Furnace or Central Air Conditioner Filter | Task Steps
Step 1 – Getting Prepared
- Turn on the system and determine how good the airflow is coming through the ducts.
- Put your hand in front to feel the air or hold a tissue in front and see if it moves away from the air ducts as the air blows out.
Step 2 – Clean or replace A/C filter
- While dealing with an A/C system, replacing the filter is recommended. Locating the filter can be difficult, but the most commonplace is in a return register or at the furnace blower unit, usually in your basement, garage, attic, or utility room. Return registers are located in central locations like ceilings or walls where the air is sucked out of the room and back into the air blower area.
- Ensure that filters are clean; if not, you need to determine if they are reusable or need to be replaced. Most metal and plastic filters are reusable & will need a good cleaning before use. Any kind of cardboard or fiber type of filters are most likely not reusable, so purchasing a new filter for your system is recommended.
- Most A/C filters are found inside your home. Make sure that if you need a replacement filter, it is the correct size. If you can reuse filters but dirty, you can soak the filter in some hot soapy water until it looks clean and new. You can hose off the filter outdoors for a quicker cleaning process till it looks nice and clean.
- Make sure the area around the filter is cleaned up before inserting the replacement filter.
- When putting in the new/clean filter, an arrow is usually printed on the filter, indicating how it should be inserted. Insert the filter arrow towards the unit.
- Supply List & Costs: filter – heating and ventilation
Hopefully, these tips will help you keep your unit in tip-top shape! Now you know how to change your furnace or central air conditioner filter!
Want to know more useful information such as this?
Sign up with us at HomeManager!
Also, check out another interesting article- How To Properly Inspect Your Crawl Space!