It’s essential to inspect your deck and porch’s safety because, over time, wood can rot and become brittle, which can result in significant damages and even injury. Continue readings to see how to inspect your deck/porch, railings, and stairs!
This is a Safety Task!
You want to make sure that your deck is in good shape for the summer. Properly maintaining your deck can prevent accidents or injuries.
This is a Preventative Maintenance Task!
Above all, proper maintenance can reduce expenses of severe problems.
Tasks can be done by: Homeowner, handyman
How To Inspect Your Deck/Porch, Railings, and Stairs | Task Steps
Step 1 – Inspect your deck/porch
- Walk around and on your deck/porch to inspect for anything that seems suspicious. An ideal place to check would be underneath, but it’s alright if you cannot get underneath.
- In addition, inspect the wood closely to see if there is any wood rot (the wood is becoming very brittle), any mold, termites, loose bolts, or missing stain/paint. These problems present themselves in hidden areas like corners.
- Tool List: flashlight
– If your deck/porch has stairs
- Walk up and down your stairs, shaking and jumping to ensure they are safe and sturdy. If things seem shaky, determine what needs to be done to make the stairs more solid.
Step 2 – Repaint/stain and fix other problem areas
- If you notice something wrong with your deck, call a professional to take a look. It is best not to undertake serious issues by yourself.
- Lastly, once any structural issues are fixed, be sure to repaint or restain as you see fit.
Want to know more useful information such as this?
Sign up with us at HomeManager!
Also, check out another interesting article- How To Inspect Your Sidewalks and Driveways!