Most curtains and drapes can go ages without proper cleaning, resulting in dust and dirt building up on the fabrics. Usually, seeing that curtains and drapes are the barriers between an open window and our home, ensuring they get cleaned annually can lessen the risk of unnecessary allergens within the home.
This is a Health Task!
In other words, dust and dirt buildup can cause allergies.
Tasks can be done by: Homeowner, cleaning company, handyman
How To Clean Curtains and Drapes | Task Steps
Step 1 – Check the tags on curtains and drapes
- First, you will want to go around your home and remove all the drapes and curtains you want to clean.
- The most important thing for this task is to check to see if the manufacturer recommends steaming, washing machine, or dry cleaning. Ignoring this can cause damage to your curtains or drapes.
- Some products only recommend vacuuming softly.
- Tool List: ladder – stepladder, vacuum cleaner, laundry basket
Step 2 – Clean the curtains and drapes
– If the care tag says dry cleaning:
- Does the care tag say dry cleaning? Take the appropriate curtains/drapes to the dry cleaners to ensure they are cleaned correctly.
– If the care tag says steaming:
- Does the care tag say steaming? Make sure your steamer has an upholstery attachment, then follow the instructions on your steam cleaner.
- Tool List: steam cleaner
– If the care tag says you can use a washing machine:
- Does the care tag say you can use a washing machine? Take the curtains outside and shake them to eliminate as much dust as possible.
- Put them in the washing machine using cold water and a little bit of gentle laundry detergent.
- Lace curtains should be washed in a mesh bag if hand washing is not specified.
- Only clean one or two panels in your washing machine at a time, depending on the thickness of your curtain fabric.
- Hang curtains to dry (outside if possible).
- Lastly, iron your drapes using the appropriate fabric setting before hanging them back up.
- Tool List: laundry basket, iron
Step 3 – Clean the curtains and drapes
- Next, Once everything is clean, you should hang them back up, regardless of what methods you needed to go through to clean your curtains and drapes.
- Tool List: ladder – stepladder
Want to know more useful information such as this?
Sign up with us at HomeManager!
Also, check out another interesting article- How To Properly Inspect Your Basement!